Ranking - Utilities (iPhone)
Ranking - Utilities (iPad)
Featured in: The New York Times, The Guardian, Salon, TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Boing Boing, Lifehacker, Macworld, & others.
• Internet access tunneled over the Tor network:
- Websites do not see your real IP address.
- ISPs and insecure wireless networks cannot see your browsing.
- Access .onion websites: anonymous "hidden service" sites only accessible through Tor.
- Can access websites, even behind some types of internet filters and censors. (See DISCLAIMERS below.)
• Fight online tracking: use a new IP address and clear your cookies/history/cache in one button.
• Block third party cookies or all cookies.
• Disable scripts and multimedia content that can be used to track you.
Web browsing is much slower than through a normal web browser due to relaying through the Tor anonymization network.
Multimedia can bypass Tor and compromise your privacy; video files and video streams are not supported and are blocked by default.
Onion Browser does not function in China, Iran, and other locations that actively block Tor with "deep packet inspection" technology. Internet providers who use such filtering/censorship technology may also prevent Onion Browser from working. If you find that the app does not work, visit the Help/Support page to see what you can do.
Onion Browser is open-source software and relies on other projects including The Tor Project and OpenSSL. Use of Onion Browser is at your own risk; sensitive data does not always belong on a mobile device. More information is always available at onionbrowser.com
* Fixed major issue on iPads where "Browser Settings" button did not open the settings screen.
* Onion Browser now supports the full, native of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus devices, instead of stretching.
* User-Agent spoofing updated to pose as more recent versions of iOS and Mac OS X.
* "Screen blanking" when leaving Onion Browser has been improved, no longer rendering a large black rectangle.
* Reduced app download size by 20%.
* Updated Tor to 0.2.5.8-rc, improving connection stability and overall security. Access to Tor hidden services should be improved. See onionbrowser.com for links to more details.